Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

India: Thane girl tops ICSE with 98.8%

From the Mumbai Mirror (Mumbai is the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra.): Thane girl tops ICSE with 98.8%

A discussion with Shalaka Kulkarni about her exam preparations would leave anyone impressed with her meticulous planning.

The 15-year-old who topped this year’s Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) exams, scoring 98.8 per cent says that while she never planned to become a topper, she had set herself a target of scoring 98 per cent.

“I analysed myself and set this target. But well, the result has made my family happy,” says Shalaka, a student of Thane’s Shreemathi Sulochanadevi Singhania School. Shalaka’s mother Dr Aparna Kulkarni said, “It’s sheer happiness for us. I never expected her to top the country, we thought she may top the school or the western region. I am grateful to God and happy that she achieved what she wanted.”

Speaking about her study schedule Shalaka, a trained Kathak dancer and the captain of her school, says, “I was concerned about how well I studied rather than how much time I studied for. Although I got less time as compared to other students, I studied anywhere 2-hours on an average every day and more during exam time.”

Shalaka who didn’t attend any tuition classes said, “My school principal and teachers trusted me a lot and the teachers were ready to help me with my classes if I missed any due to my involvement in extra curricular activities.” In Std VI she received a silver medal in the Homi Bhaba Young Scientist search and a gold medal in Std IX. Besides Shalaka, a girl from Jharkhand, Madhavi Singh, scored 98.8 per cent.

The board also announced the Std XII results on Saturday. In Maharashtra 10,754 students appeared for the ICSE exams and 1,230 for the ISC exams. However, the pass percentage this year for both ICSE and ISC was lower than last year’s (see box). While the ICSE score fell by 0.03 % from last year’s, the ISC percentage fell by 0.016 %. Keeping up with the tradition, girls did better than boys.

Speaking to Mumbai Mirror Sister Rani Anthony, principal of Peddar Road’s Villa Theresa School - one of the 129 schools that offer ICSE in the state - said that out of the 104 students from her school who appeared for the exam, 42 scored over 90 per cent. “I am very happy with my school’s performance. One of our student scored 100 per cent in geography which is a great achievement.” There are 30 schools in the state that offer ISC.

The additional secretary of the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) Gerry Arathoon said, “We are very happy with the overall performance of all our students. The overall pass percentage is 98.62 for ICSE and and 97.25 for ISC. Compared to last year, the figures are up by 0.01% per cent.”

CBSE and state board results are expected to be announced within the next fortnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment