Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Einstein’s Advice To A Little Girl Who Wants To Be A Scientist

Back in Einstein's time - the 20s and 30s, girls minded being girls because that's all they could be. A girl, then a wife and mother. And if not a wife, then a mother to a some other woman's children (as a nanny or teacher).

There were exceptional women who fought against being confined to the home. They went out and did things - and they were exceptional because up until the 1970s, that's something women just did not do, and they were criticized for it, called unwomanly for it, by not only men but other women as well.

From The Frisky : Einstein’s Advice To A Little Girl Who Wants To Be A Scientist

As per the book Dear Professor Einstein: Albert Einstein’s Letters to and from Children, this is a 1946 letter written by a little girl to Einstein:
I forgot to tell you, in my last letter, that I was a girl. I mean I am a girl. I have always regretted this a great deal, but by now I have become more or less resigned to the fact. Anyway, I hate dresses and dances and all the kind of rot girls usually like. I much prefer horses and riding. Long ago, before I wanted to become a scientist, I wanted to be a jockey and ride horses in races. But that was ages ago, now. I hope you will not think any the less of me for being a girl!

Albert Einstein’s response:
I do not mind that you are a girl, but the main thing is that you yourself do not mind. There is no reason for it.

Who knew Einstein was a feminist?! It’s advice even us big girls should follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment