Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Breast Milk Baby stirs debate over whether breastfeeding doll is appropriate for kids

Please god no parent would buy their child this abomination! [And are there really dolls that urinate and defecate? Jee-zus! No wonder 13 year old girls are having babies, they're taught to do it with their dolls from the age of 2 or 3!]

From MLive.com: Breast Milk Baby stirs debate over whether breastfeeding doll is appropriate for kids
The Breast Milk Baby doll that will soon be marketed in the U.S. has sparked a debate among readers. Many commenting on a story posted Wednesday say they are uncomfortable with a toy that lets children pretend they are breastfeeding.

Dolls have long come with bottles filled with a pretend milk, and children for decades have used them to feed babies. And mothers who nurse their babies say it's common for older siblings to imitate them, by pretending to breastfeed their dolls or stuffed animals.

Still, even among those who support breastfeeding, a $69 toy that makes sucking noises and mouth motions when held to a special halter top worn by the child goes a bit too far.

Here is a sample of the debate:

FormerNewsType asks:

Would it be inappropriate to buy a little girl a doll that sucks from a bottle? Probably not, since this is a classic and common toy. And if a bottle-fed doll is OK, then all these commenters really are against the nursing aspect of the doll. God forbid a doll should emulate something natural, healthy and nonsexual!

eazydoesit says:

I think this doll certainly challenges some of the more traditional, victorian sensibilities. However, I do not think it is inappropriate, nor will it lead to some sort of sexual revolution for pre-pubescent children. If anything, it may normalized some pretty healthy behaviors for kids.

However, jkh has doubts:

I'm not so sure that this doll is a good idea. I believe childrens minds can't truly comprehend nor should they comprehend at their age exactly what our bodies are created to be and do, therefore I think we could send some very mixed emotions (possibly not healthy) about sexuality being in its right place. I believe we need to grow to some level of maturity to understand breast feeding as it is meant to be. (loving, nurturing, bonding between mommy and baby).

And belvary70 says it introduces children to an adult topic too soon:

Why can't we let kids just be kids? Kids now are growing up way too fast and we really don't need to add to it. I feel like some in this article that this doll introduces a topic that im not comfortable discussing with my daughter. And I wonder should I be comfortable discussing it? I don't think so, I feel she is a kid and that discussing this with her may not be age appropriate. I know that its just breasts and they are their for the production of milk. I get the science behind it but I just don't think it's age appropriate.

MinnesotaKen says:

Now, even as a liberal, I think that this is taking things too far. I agree with bobbiez, just don't buy it.

Candice_Smith Fleszar_12 compared it to other dolls on the market that don't raise a controversy:

My daughters nursed their dolls on their own, after seeing me nurse their younger sisters. I wouldn't pay the retail this is asking, but we as a society don't seem to have a problem with little girls cleaning up urine or fecal matter from a doll in practicing their mommy skills. Some people seem to be so hung up on the fact that the breast is involved because it's so "adult." Thus, it must be sexual. I disagree with that sentiment.

And even some of those who support the concept questioned the price. Mark Moss says:

Nothing wrong with a little girl playing at suckling her baby doll, but there's plenty wrong when it takes $70 worth of technology to replace a kid's imagination.

Most people responding to a poll by this morning said they would not buy the doll:
• 91 said yes
• 291 said no
• 70 said they were not sure what to make of the doll yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment