Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Girl Scientist Club Ch 2

I.

“This first meeting of the Girl Scientist Club will now come to order,” announced Amber Karlovassi.

It was Saturday, and they were meeting in the Family Room of her house – a large room in the basement complete with comfy chairs and plush carpeting, and even more important, a gigantic screen TV, Blue-Ray, DVD and VHS Player. In the corner a computer with big screen monitor rested on a large computer desk – that’s where Amber did her home work.

Over the last week, Emily Shimako had gotten to know the other two girls pretty well, and learned that they had many things in common. They all enjoyed the sciences, and they all intended to be in a scientific field of some kind when they grew up.

Emily was fascinated with space exploration and intended to be the first woman on the Moon, or better yet, Mars. Trelane was more interested in the ocean depths and wanted to become an oceanographer and deep sea explorer, like Sylvia Earle. And Amber Karlovassi?

“Dinosaurs,” she had declared. “I want to find dinosaurs.”

On Friday, during lunch, they had got to talking about their hopes, dreams and desires, and how they might achieve them. They were aware of the stories – girls always did pretty well in math and science classes until they hit the age of 14 or so, and then their grades fell dramatically.

“We need to help each other,” Amber had said. “Let’s make a pact to team up and help each other out on any subject we’re having problems with.”

“I don’t think it’s that the material gets harder,” said Trelane. “I think it’s because now’s about the time girls get interested in boys…or should I say, obsessed with them?”

“Obsessed with being thought attractive by them,” Emily suggested. “And obsessed with…you know.”

They grinned. They did know. In 21st century society, they couldn’t help but know.

“And god forbid a girl be able to beat her boyfriend in a math or biology test…”

“Or worse, sports,” commented Trelane. She was a pretty good swimmer – better than anyone else in the school, actually, boy or girl, at her grade level.

“Yeah…if you’re good at sports, and not interested in boys…look out!”

“I’m good at sports,” Trelane pointed out. “And I’m not interested in boys, I’m interested in men. I mean…not right now, of course. I’m only 14, for God’s sake! But I mean I’m not interested in any of the boys in our class, for example. I’m going to wait until I get my college degree, and then I’ll find a man friend!”

Emily nodded. “I don’t intend to settle down until I’ve seen the whole wide world. And it’s kind of difficult to do that if you’ve got to tow a kid or two with you!”

“I think we all pretty much agree on the same things,” Amber said. “Why don’t we form a club? The Girl Scientist Club? All for one and one for all?”

“That’s a great idea,” Emily and Trelane had chorused.

“Let’s have an official meeting tomorrow,” Amber continued. “Why don’t we meet for lunch at my house.”

II.

“I think the most important thing is that we don’t waste time,” said Amber. “Right now we’re learning algebra. Why don’t we spend a couple of hours every Saturday going through the book, and getting ahead of the class?”

“Could cause problems,” said Trelane. “If we already know what’s in the book, and show it, the rest of the kids will accuse us of showing off.”

“Well, we don’t have to let the other kids know that we’ve already gone through the book,” said Emily. “Just get the answers right when called upon.”

“Okay, then, said Trelane, “Amber, you’ve got your book here?”

Thus it was, when Amber’s mother came down the stairs to the family room an hour later, with a tray bearing milk and cookies, she was surprised…and even a little pleased, to find the three girls spending their Saturday working on algebra problems.

Amber told her about their new club.

“I think that’s a great idea, girls,” she said, smiling happily. “Working as a team, you’ll be sure to accomplish your goals.”

She went upstairs and Amber, Trelane and Emily got back to work. After another hour, they decided they’d worked enough for one day.

“How about another tradition of the Girl Scientist Club,” suggested Amber. “Watching a 1950s science fiction film after our meeting. Let’s watch Them! It’s about giant ants!”

“I don’t like horror movies,” Emily objected.

“Oh, it’s not really horror,” Amber said quickly. “I mean…there are a couple of scary spots, yes, but basically it’s just an adventure film. And there’s a female scientist…she’s pretty cool.”

“Well, okay,” said Emily.

“Great, I’ll make some buttered popcorn and we can have some pop, so it’s like we’ll be at a real movie.”

Minutes later, the jagged red-and-blue letters of Them! filled the big screen, and the girls sat entranced (it was Amber’s favorite movie) as the adventure unfolded.

No comments:

Post a Comment